Principles of Healthy Aging (PHA)
Principles of Healthy Aging
This one-day training provides insights into the unique needs of older adults when participating in recreation or leisure activities in municipal or retirement communities. It provides evidence-based approaches to improve the experience of participants by implementing the HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Aging. Topics include ageism, program planning, and the importance that physical literacy plays in sustained long-term health, increased social connectedness, improved general mental and physical well-being and a better quality of life.
At the completion of this training, learners will be able to:
- Design activity plans to enhance a participant’s experience,
- Build healthy relationships in all areas of programming for older adults with participants and staff members,
- Gain knowledge, tips, and resources to enhance programs,
- Apply the HIGH FIVE Principles to create environments and spaces that foster positive experiences,
- Design an activity plan to enhance physical and mental health,
- Build healthy relationships in all areas of programming for older adults, and
- Create environments and spaces that foster healthy active aging.
Resources: Principles of Healthy Aging Workbook
Successful candidates will receive a certificate.
National Coaches Certification Professional Development Points (NCCP) – 3 points
*HIGH FIVE recommends that participants be 16 years of age or older.
Duration: 7.5 hours
- Program Supervisors/Coordinators
- General Interest program instructors
- Group fitness and aqua fitness instructors